I really did mean to come back last night and post a card, but I got tangled up in the blankets on my sofa and was held hostage until bedtime...
That's my story...and I'm sticking to it!
Okay, so now I'll try to redeem myself.
This card is one that I did this week for a friend at work. One of four actually because she requested some of my fancier cards for her friends and family so I had a chance to play around with the larger square canvases again. I'll share the others soon.
For this one, I started with a 5.25 x 10.5 piece of Always Artichoke. I layered a piece of Dashing designer paper (roughly 2/3 the height of the card) along the bottom front and then added a strip of the smaller dot pattern from the same paper assortment above it. The Real Red Top Note die piece (I only used half and used a white gel pen to add the dots) was added next followed by (and this is the fun part - he he he....) I punched two strips - one Real Red and another of Old Olive - using the Fiskars Threading Water edge punch. I used a narrow strip of Score-Tape to adhere each one to the card front roughly 1/2 inch apart and then, using some heavy thread that I actually found in the jewelry department at Michaels, I "laced" the two together using the holes as the eyelets. When I got to the end, I doubled back a couple of holes and threaded the ends back up to the top.
At this point I had to set it aside to work on the stocking. The stocking is stamped on Neenah Baronial Ivory with Old Olive, hand trimmed and blinged up with gems from Crystal Stickers. I added a few foam dimensionals to the back of the stocking and then punched two small holes in the top corner of the stocking. I threaded the ends of my string through these two holes and then through the button, down through opposing button holes and back up again so I could tie the ends in a bow. In hindsight, I could have just clipped my laces and used the excess to thread the button to glue on seperately, but... where's the challenge in that?! So, now that I essentially have the stocking tied to the card, I peeled off the backing on my foam dimensionals and adhered it where I wanted it. I used a Quickutz Jolly Holiday die set to cut the Merry Christmas from Always Artichoke and Real Red. Adhering them was a snap with my Xyron sticker maker. What a handy little tool that is! Finally, I added three hand tied buttons to the bottom corner to balance things out.
|Here's a detail shot of the stitching.|
Thanks for stopping in! Hope you're staying warm - we're currently in the middle of a blizzard, and no, I'm not kidding.
S: Holiday Basics
P: Always Artichoke, Real Red, Old Olive, Neenah Baronial Ivory, Dashing DSP
I: Old Olive
A: buttons, glue dots, heavy thread, Fiskars Threading Water edge punch, Crystal Stickers gems, foam dimensionals, Top Note die, Quickutz Jolly Holiday die set, white gel pen, 1/16 punch
Labels: Christmas 2010, Die Cuts, Punches, SU Sets